Taper Time To DO list!
So For about 2 weeks now, I’ve been Tapering. Wowee. It is an unusual time for me. It has lead me to question all sorts of things, my coaching, my plans, my job, my very reason for living. None of which really needed to be done.
So, After much thought and consideration- knowing that I am not the only one to ever experience this Taper Phenomenon. I have made a list of things to do while on the Taper…
1. Play with your Kids/Pets/Spouse. Gently.
Pull out a board game, play something easy on the WII, throw a ball for the dog…Don’t go horseback riding for 6 hours.
2. Go to the Library. This is a Great time to hang out in a hammock and enjoy a bit of an escape. If you must, read a book about running. I suggest something altogether different…like: Colin Cotterill’s The Coroners Lunch.
3. Volunteer! You need to plan this one ahead of time! Volunteer at a Race, or at a food bank, or at the goodwill. Take your family. When I was injured, I volunteered quite a bit for RunDisney…While RunDisney is not really my style of racing, I got to meet with lots of runners, and encourage many many many first time runners. It was a blast, and it really took my mind off my downtime. A great way to give back to your community and take your mind off the Taper.
4. Forgot to sign up for Volunteering? Clean out your closet/pantry. Take the stuff over to your local Food Bank/Goodwill/Church. You’ll have a cleaner house and someone will hopefully benefit from your “stuff”
5. Write a letter. Take a moment to thank someone who has helped you. Either in your running, or in some other aspect of life. Be really specific.
6. Make Race plans for the future! Always good.
7. Cook something. Especially in the first taper week, not too close to the race. It’s a great time to experiment.
8. Plan your race day outfit. Yeah, I’ve not really done this, but this year, I’ve been pulling things out and thinking about it. Sadly, it would appear that I am still needing the fugly compression gear, so thats what I shall be donning that morning.
9. Make Cupcakes. Take them to people you love. Have you ignored some friendships while training? This is a good time to rekindle them.
10. Take a Test. What? yes, take a test. Are you studying for certification in anything? Taper weeks are made for taking exams, you will be sleeping lots and relaxing lots, great time to sit in a booth and get that pesky certification over with. That way when your training gets rough again, you don’t have to figure out how to fit re-certificaton in. AND your boss won’t talk to you about how your training is taking away your job focus.
11. Shopping. No matter what time of year it is, get the shopping Done. Shop for Birthdays, Christmas, Housewarmings, Weddings. It takes away the rushed feeling that one gets during a terrific training week- when trying to be sure things are sent off properly.
What else do you do on Taper week?
Can I admit: 6 more days to race day. Can not wait to get OFF the taper.